Saturday, July 12, 2008

Making it through long weeks

Proverbs 12:18
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

For the past five years, every July my husband spends seven days away from the family in Florida taking the youth of our church on a retreat. I know I may sound lame, but it is always a challenging week. I realize some of you have husbands who travel weekly throughout the year. Today, Jason comes HOME!

I turned a corner this year. Though I was busier than I normally am when he's gone, my attitude was much changed. Like I said before, I overbooked this week, but, my attitude was still my responsibility. I really wanted to honor my husband and the Lord by taking loving care of the kids even in my exhaustion.

In my head, (and sometimes out loud), I would say I have exactly the amount of energy to get through bedtime tonight. I may fall asleep one minute after the kids, but I can make it to that minute after bedtime. I continually prayed for dependency on the Lord's supply for my energy and the fruit of the Spirit to show in my life.

When the tests came and the entire camp of children decided to mutiny and not sleep. I was especially dependant. They were keenly missing daddy by day three and me being harsh would not bring sleep any quicker. I certainly failed, but when I reminded myself of the energy being there. I would do much better. The supply of God's grace is often there, but I'm so busy grumbling and complaining that I don't pull from those reserves.

In ministry, Jason will be pulled away at some of the worst times. I could encourage bitterness in my kids by complaining or use it as an opportunity to love on the person in need he is attending. As a family, we can take time to pray for the need he is attending to in our community. If I were in need, I would want the kind words of Jason if I were in the hospital. I can't be selfish with his love.

He is also careful to protect his time for our family. I must also carefully protect my children's high opinion of their father. If I don't feel like our family time is being protected then I need to take that up with Jason away from the children.

I have a friend whose husband is an OB. She is very careful not to grumble when he is called away. Ladies, you know what crazy times these babies decide to show up. But she honors her husband with loving words in his absense. How do you encourage your families when dad is called away?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!!! You are an amazing writer!!!

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!