Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Favorite Place


Proverbs 30:8,9
Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God.


I have a friend who was sharing her difficulty reading her Bible regularly. It wasn't until this year that I have really gotten into a good habit of reading scripture. The difference for me was having a pretty place that I could curl up in and read every morning.

The picture above is "my chair." I can say to the kids, "would you get my glasses that are on my chair." They know just where to look. Remember back in the day when men had their Lazy Boy? Maybe they still do, but this is my chair. It's huge, so I really snuggle up. If you notice above, all my children can fit. It has a favorite quilt, and on the night stand is a basket of my books, a lamp and my glasses. It's a place my kids see me reading and praying every morning. Sometimes I'm up before them, sometimes I have prepared their breakfast and I'm sitting there watching them eat and reading(it faces the dining room). This summer I have gotten up with the kids, I will soon be setting the clock again and getting up before them.

I was convicted this past year that I was more faithful to my morning cup of coffee than I was to spending time with Jesus. I am totally spoiled by my husband when it comes to coffee. Every morning he makes the coffee, mixes mine just how I like it, and brings it to me. I don't even know how I best like my coffee. When I try on my own it's just not as tasty. That said, I don't have my first drink of coffee unless I've read some scripture. That is legalistic, I know, but it has been a rule that encourages me to read the Bible. Many times Jason brings me my coffee in my special chair where I read. It's my favorite way he serves me! Coffee=Love, especially the way it comes to me.

Ideas for your reading spot... Use your favorite things you have. Move them to one spot. I used a produce basket I had for my books, a lamp I thought was pretty, and I did buy a vintage table cloth that had some stains I found super cheap on ebay. I put my favorite decorative pillow, a quilt and my favorite books.

I knew my children understood what the chair was when Jason and I went away for one night for our tenth anniversary. We were walking out the door and Harper looked at my chair and saw that I had left my Bible (Jason had his). She ran to me with it yelling, "Mommy, mommy, you can't forget your Bible for tomorrow morning." Jason was about to tell her we had his, but I stopped him. I said, "you are so right Harper, I would have really missed it." I hope someday she will cherish her own special spot. More than that, I hope she cherishes Jesus.

No comments:

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!