Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Joy Teacher




Matthew 18:1-5
At the time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

These verses have always reminded me of my grandmother. She had a childlike love, not a childish love, but one that was full of joy. As I grew older, and learned of the suffering she faced in her life, I wondered at the joy she exhibited so freely. I know now it was grace, but then, it was a wonder to behold. I admired my grandma, I wanted to grow up to be like her; I wanted to laugh hard like she did.

After I had my last baby, my grandma had declined very much, but I knew her favorite thing was a baby. I asked Jason to leave me alone with grandma and bring the big kids later. I placed Story Jane on her lap and her eyes just grew in delight. She did what she always did with each of my babies, she clucked her tongue at her. She looked at her and said, "Mercy, mercy, mercy." And later an assistant asked grandma what she thought, she simply said, "wonderful."

I have a growing list of people I feel like I don't deserve to know. That the knowing of the person is pure grace alone. She was the first one on that list. She taught me the importance of seeking after that deep belly laugh in my day. She taught me to play to utter exhaustion, and she taught me about pudding pops. And the moment I met Christ, I immediately knew that was what made my grandma different. She showed me Christ for years without ever mentioning His name. She didn't need to.

1 comment:

~Amy Jo~ said...

What a wonderful and beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this story.

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!