Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Faith

"Faith is not believing in my own unshakable belief. Faith is believing an unshakable God when everything in me trembles and quakes....Beth Moore

The story that is presented in Mark 9 of the boy with an unclean spirit really strikes me as important. The father was desperate to save his son. You can hear the agony as he describes the pain his son has endured at the hand of the spirit. He is at the end of himself. The disciples could not help him, and now the father is speaking directly to Jesus. He's hurting, at his end, and begging for a solution. The father looks at him and says, "But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." Jesus said to him, "If you can! All things are possible for one who believes." Then the father cried out, "I believe; help my unbelief."

I love how Jesus has compassion on this man. The humility in this man comforts me immensely. I love the honesty of his weakness and the compassion of the response and the healing of the son. So often humble weakness is seen as that, weakness, but truly, in our weakness we seek the Lord for strength. I know that it is the Lord alone that can apply faith in my life. I know I can only face my unbelief with the compassion of Christ. It is His love that reveals to me daily my need and weakness, and by His grace I am granted faith. Faith to face hard things armed with grace to do what is right.

Heal me today of my unbelief Lord, and help me to see where you can do immensely more than we can think or imagine.

No comments:

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!