Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Traditions

It's amazing how peaceful a tradition can be. Cooking for my family rejuvenates me, excites me and brings me great joy. More than that, the tradition of eating together around our table deepens my contentment and peace. Being sick lately, I have made the meal but often was too sick to join the family around the table. Tonight was the exception. Our happy meal of leftovers included the entire family with a candle and fresh lavender to boot.

Our one family tradition is to take turns asking each person the best part of their day. We encourage our children to ask dinner questions at the table to encourage polite conversation. Most often when it comes to my turn I always answer, "right now is my favorite." Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder, because tonight reminded me what a gift my family together truly is. The meal was nothing special...vegetable soup, toast with avocado, apple sauce and conversation. No other place on earth could have tempted me tonight.

What is your family tradition you couldn't live without?

No comments:

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!