Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Making the Right Choice

Exodus 1:17
But the midwives feared God and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but let the male children live.

This morning I have started my morning reading in Exodus. Our church is studying this book on Sunday night, and it has been a long time since I have read Exodus. This entire first chapter really struck me this morning. Check out the story of the midwives. I would love to hear your thoughts.

What really struck me was the lie they told to the king when he asked why they weren't doing as they commanded. They told the king the Hebrew women are vigorous and give birth before the midwife arrives. The above noted scripture points out that they feared God, and spared the lives of the baby boys.

Exodus 1:20
So God dealt with the midwives. And the people multiplied and grew very strong. And because the midwives feared God, he gave them families.

Wow, is that amazing? They did what they knew the Lord required and they were blessed. Not what was popular or would bring notice and reward from the king....they did what was right. Even at the expense of a lie. And the blessing that was given. Children. Amazing!!

I need some time to wrap my mind around this. I will certainly be thinking about those amazing midwives while I clean this morning. I'm also going to think about how our reward from the Lord, is children. Or blessing, gift, whatever you choose. They are from the Lord. Am I willing this morning to be unpopular for what is right? True? And do I fear the Lord? Not in a way that means afraid, but in a way that causes me to want His holiness in my life. I pray I do.

Lastly, do I see injustice? I had a college student here last week and we always watch nerdy movies together that nobody wants to see with us. This past week we watched a movie about the life of Nelson Mandela. It may not have been the best acting, but the story was unbelievable. When it was over I asked Heather if she ever feared that a major injustice was happening that we hadn't even noticed. We discussed current day injustices.

Have you ever wondered what you would have done during the time of Jesus, or slavery and segregation in our country? I know my own depravity, and though I hope I would have been counted among His followers, I fear I would have been there saying crucify....Only by His grace am I able to have had my heart changed to become His daughter. I was a child he would have sent a midwife for (I know, it was only for the boys, the girls were spared)....Nonetheless, I don't deserve such grace.

What if you were a midwife asked to do unthinkable acts to the Lords children? Thank goodness it was His grace that led them. We must realize it was the Lord that protected those children and gave the conviction of heart and grace and courage to the midwives. It was the Lord who knew that it was Moses soon come into the world. He knows His children, and His plan for them will always come to pass. It is certainly something to think about today.

No comments:

A place to find encouragement to love your little ones, your husbands and those you come in contact with daily. Two does not have to be terrible. These are years to grow not simply get through!